Build your career with Trax
Join one of the fastest growing SaaS companies in the world
At Trax, our people are at the core of our business, as we create technology and services that are changing the world of retail. Get to know us.
Trax is a rapidly growing
company with start-up values
We started out with the daring mission of solving long-standing problems for our CPG and retail customers. Today, we are proud to be market makers, and our journey is streaked with perseverance, team work and a whole lot of fun.
Unleash your potential by joining a powerhouse of brilliant minds from diverse backgrounds, in an environment that is learning-friendly - and often filled with food!SEE OUR CURRENT VACANCIES
Data Engineering Manager
About The Position
Shopkick is on a mission to bring delight and reward to the consumer shopping experience. As part of the Trax Retail family, we are a unicorn looking to accelerate our growth trajectory as we partner with major brands and retailers, ranging from H&M and Unilever to Best Buy and Purina, to transform the way people engage with stores and products, both online and in the physical world.
Shopkick is looking for a hands-on Data Engineering Manager who can bring their ideas, vision, and experience to build and manage our Data Engineering team. The ideal candidate has been a key contributor to building big data pipelines (Kafka, Streamsets, Spark, Airflow, DataFlow, DataFusion, etc)
on GCP (BigQuery). This year, you’ll take ownership of our robust data platform, develop a long-term data infrastructure strategy, implement key improvements, and then build a world-class data engineering team.
Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Own the strategy, implementation and management of our data infrastructure.
- Build streaming and batch ETL pipelines to extract, transform, and load data from various sources.
- Create tools and automation to support our data analysts.
- Design a framework for ensuring data quality and governance.
- Help troubleshoot complex data issues and recommend solutions.
- Build and manage a strong data engineering team focused on delivering results and engineering excellence across the engineering lifecycle - design, build, test, release, and operate, i.e., a full ownership model.
- Communicate directions and decisions effectively with the team and stakeholders.
- Build alignment with engineering, analytics, and product leadership.
- Foster cross team communication ensuring data engineers work closely with the broader engineering team.
- 2+ years of engineering leadership experience in at least a Sr, Lead, or Principal role.
- 5+ years of experience creating streaming and batch ETL systems
- Strong ability to write efficient SQL queries
- Strong coding ability in an object oriented language (Java, C#, C++, Python, etc.)
- Expertise with Google BigQuery, AWS Redshift, or AWS Athena
- Experience with message distribution systems like Kafka or Pub/Sub
- Familiarity with streaming ETL systems like StreamSets, Spark, DataFlow
- Excellent team player with strong communication skills (verbal and written)
- Enthusiastic about collaborative problem solving
- Eagerness to solve challenging problems and a love of learning and trying new things
- BS in Computer Science or related field or equivalent experience